This type was also used by the Germans during the First World War. Production started as late as 1918. The type was to be the successor of the Albatros D.Va.
At the end of the hostilities some 700 aircraft were operational along the front. The aircraft made such an impression on the Allied command that it was explicitly mentioned in the Versailles Treaty that all Fokker D.VII aircraft were to be handed over to the allied forces. A vast number of them was allotted to Belgium and they were sold for civilian use.
The first one to enter the Belgian civil register was O-BEBE. Jean Stampe's aviation school 'Ecole d'Aviation Anvers' used three of the type, among which the O-BOBE, before the company started to build its own designs.
The replica on display at the museum was built in 1985 by Rousseau Aviation (France) for use in the movie 'The Blue Max'. It entered the French civil register as F-BNDG. After completing the film, the aircraft was sold in Ireland and registered as EI-APT.
it was involved in a landing accident which made it no longer airworthy. It was sold as such by the Ryder's Replica Fighter museum in Alabama, USA.
When it arrived at Antwerp airport in 2000, it still was not in flying condition. Our volunteers decided to give it a complete overhaul and apply a colour scheme which we think might have been used by Jean Stampe. The restoration is now nearly completed - we are waiting for a new propeller to arrive - and hope to see it flying over Antwerp very soon.
The aircraft is powered by an English Gipsy Queen engine that creates 205hp.